Airports, restaurants, coffee shops, businesses, dentists, libraries and even public parks offer public access to Wi-Fi for free. Surfing unsecured hotspots can open your data pipeline to some very unsavory characters. Whether you use it for convenience or because there is no other Internet connection available — the bad guys still have all kinds of tools to gather and steal information from you.
In a recent Cyber-scary contest that we featured in mid November one of our entrants realized that the hotel that they stayed at in Las Vegas did not even have a public Wi-Fi connection available! But her husband was able to easily connect to a rogue Wi-Fi hotspot to enter his credit card information:
“Haven’t been on vacation in 20 years…… We get to our hotel in Vegas. First thing my husband does is, to try to go online, to check his work email. He gets a wireless signal called Luxorhotel_guest. Clicks on it, and enters in our credit card information. We then find out that the LUXOR only offers wired internet service! GREAT!”
At Virtual World Computing, we offer free cloud-based “Cocoon” security software that automatically encrypts unsecured Wi-Fi communications. While logged into Cocoon, all your online activities beccome routed through our “secure tunnel” to a safe server that blocks the bad guys from getting to your data. You won’t have to spend your time worrying about online banking or stolen credit card information, because we keep the bad guys away.
- Creates a virtual firewall that keeps the bad guys away from your computer.
- Provides antivirus protection; Cocoon will alert you and stop harmful or malicious files from downloading to your computer.
- Protects your personal information and activity by preventing cookie tracking.
- Prevents malware and drive-by downloads.
- Gives you the option to remotely store history and bookmarks in the cloud.
- Encrypts all your data.
- Shields your personal identity and protects your privacy.
- Provides ad hoc email addresses via mailslots that stops spam in its tracks